Autor Thema: Gnaphosidae under a stone => Zelotes cf. criniger  (Gelesen 203 mal)

Raffaele Falato

Gorgoglione, Province of Matera, Basilicata, Southern Italy.

Date of discovery: July 20, 12 noon.
Habitat: 850 m - under a stone, along a stairway of a slope. Around lawns with shaved and dry vegetation, bushes and shrubs (semi-arid to arid habitat).
Dimensions: see photo.

Ciao,
this Gnaphosidae is an adult female of Drassodes?
If so, I hope the photos, along with the modest size of spider, help determine the species.
On UniBe and on the wiki I read that the only Italic species with an adult female of only 5 mm is Drassodes pubescens (5-10 mm).
Thank you.
Raf

dr1.jpg
*dr1.jpg (41.94 KB . 641x592 - angeschaut 84 Mal)
dr2.jpg
*dr2.jpg (21.41 KB . 454x337 - angeschaut 83 Mal)
dr3.jpg
*dr3.jpg (24.13 KB . 279x550 - angeschaut 82 Mal)
dr4.jpg
*dr4.jpg (38.92 KB . 597x471 - angeschaut 84 Mal)
dr5.jpg
*dr5.jpg (38.68 KB . 588x446 - angeschaut 84 Mal)
dr6.jpg
*dr6.jpg (22.43 KB . 511x428 - angeschaut 84 Mal)
« Letzte Änderung: 2021-07-24 01:05:58 von Raffaele Falato »

Clemens Dönges

Re: Gnaphosidae under a stone
« Antwort #1 am: 2021-07-22 23:24:35 »
Hey Raf;

for me the size of the spider and the epigyne don't fit Drassodes; your specimen has those egg-shaped shadows (spermathecae?) very far back, just anterior to the epigastric fold. I checked the epigynes on arachno.piwigo.com (which is made for France and Belgium) and the drawings in the 'small Roberts' (which is made for Britain and northern Europe) and didn't find a "perfect match", but Drassyllus seems to come close. They are rather small spiders and the genus contains a few brown species besides the black ones. They should still be darker, but I found Drassyllus pumilus (http://wiki.arages.de/index.php?title=Drassyllus_pumilus) to be worth a second look.
I attached a rough draft of what I think to see of the epigyne. The structures might be misinterpreted, though.

I'm excited about what others find out.

Clemens

Raffaele Falato

« Antwort #2 am: 2021-07-22 23:51:54 »
Hi Clemens,
I exclude the Zelotinae because my spider has "almond-shaped" posterior middle eyes, like Drassodes.
But I too see this spider as strange, especially if it is an adult.
Let's see who helps.

Raf

Jutta Asamoah

• Administrator
« Antwort #3 am: 2021-07-23 01:54:30 »
Hello Raf and Clemens,

aren´t there setae on the prosoma? Those plus the procurve eyes could point to Echemus angustifrons.
Whether the epigyne resembles the ones in the Wiki, I just can´t tell, but you probably will.

Cheers
Jutta
Nach der Bestimmung bitte Betreffzeile und Büroklammersymbol anpassen.

Simeon Indzhov

• Global Moderator
  • neue E-Mailaddresse
« Antwort #4 am: 2021-07-23 09:53:39 »
Zelotes cf. criniger perhaps? Or maybe khostensis? I am tending towards criniger because of the oval spermathecae and the rather short ?copulatory ducts? - not extending to the front. Zelotes s.l. is beyond doubt.
Simeon

Raffaele Falato

« Antwort #5 am: 2021-07-23 10:09:24 »
Hi guys, thanks for the interventions.

As I see it, I don't believe in Drassyllus pumilus because it has completely different colored legs; I don't believe in Echemus because this genus, resembling Scotophaeus, has a bigger prosoma.
Zelotes? I am the last of the ignorant.

I await with curiosity the solution (if any) of the case.

Raf

Simeon Indzhov

• Global Moderator
  • neue E-Mailaddresse
« Antwort #6 am: 2021-07-23 10:53:19 »
Hi guys, thanks for the interventions.

As I see it, I don't believe in Drassyllus pumilus because it has completely different colored legs; I don't believe in Echemus because this genus, resembling Scotophaeus, has a bigger prosoma.
Zelotes? I am the last of the ignorant.

I await with curiosity the solution (if any) of the case.

Raf

It's definitely neither Drassyllus nor Echemus both based on appearance and genitalia. Genitalia say clearly "Zelotes" to me as I wrote above.

Raffaele Falato

« Antwort #7 am: 2021-07-23 13:51:59 »
Interesting thread, I have already learned something from the posts above.

Yes Simeon, I believe that criniger fits well (always with cf.), better than the other species you mentioned; criniger moreover seems to be more southern Italian than the other.
I am already ready to change the title to Zelotes cf. criniger, but I want to wait a little longer.

Raf

Edit: In one case or another, it seems that I have photographed a rare spider to meet, also considering the paucity of information and images.