Autor Thema: Thomisidae? => Xysticus cf. bufo  (Gelesen 963 mal)

Albert Gatt Floridia

• Fauna of Malta
Thomisidae? => Xysticus cf. bufo
« am: 2012-02-17 16:39:38 »
Location Malta
Came across this spider feeding on a beetle today. Circa 8mm.
Could it be a Xysticus sp. ??
Many thanks
Albert
« Letzte Änderung: 2012-02-19 00:38:23 von Tobias Bauer »

Arno Grabolle

• mein g+
Re: Thomisidae ??
« Antwort #1 am: 2012-02-18 01:26:01 »
Wow, great pictures. It is a Xysticus species. It seems to be a ground dwelling, Coleoptera-hunting species like X. robustus. If you're interested in concrete determination you should collect such adult specimens (after making those great pictures!) and send them to me. I could try to determinate the species and we can use the images for our Wiki.

Arno
« Letzte Änderung: 2012-02-18 01:28:17 von Arno Grabolle »

Albert Gatt Floridia

• Fauna of Malta
Re: Thomisidae?
« Antwort #2 am: 2012-02-18 08:43:56 »
Hi Arno
Thank you very much for your reply.
I presume that you would be  interested in species which are not illustrated on your Wiki, is that right ?
I shall start trying to collect them for you, (although it will not be easy as very often they run away and I lose sight of them) and when you give me your address I shall mail them to you.
May I take the opportunity to ask whether this is a Dysderidae sp., probably D.crocota ? D.erythrina is very similar but I do not think that it has been recorded in Malta.
Many thanks and best regards.
Albert

Arno Grabolle

• mein g+
Re: Thomisidae? => Xysticus sp.
« Antwort #3 am: 2012-02-18 19:37:19 »
Hallo Albert,

Its our goal to extend the Spider-Wiki to all species of Europe (of spiders, harvestmen, scorpions ...). We collect spiders in Germany and middle Europe many times. So our species are well presented in the Wiki. But the chances to collect and record spiders from the southern parts of Europe are very rare (usually we take 1 week collecting excursion a year to south Europe). So it could be a good support for the project, to get the one or other species from you or other members from the mediterranean region. This would help to complete the list of described species in the Wiki and therefore the Wiki could grow up to a better tool/help also for people like you.

Unfortunately actually the Wiki is in German language only (because its easier to write in German for most of us), but hopefully in future we will have translations to English or the translation software will be more useful to translate the content automatically.

My propose: If you have taken high quality pictures of adult spider species, we don't have in Germany (or we don't have in our Wiki), and you're able to catch them, you cold send it to me (or Tobias as well), and we try to take quality genital pictures and make a save ID and then we will create Wiki-articles about them. But we all have our own collection material and jobs and some of us even a little bit private life ;) and all this takes time. For now please send only the most interesting species, or ask with the pictures. I think about 10 to 20 species a year. If some other Wiki-editors with a binocular will take a part of this deal, we can raise the number.

Tobias, what do you say?

Your Dysdea looks like D. crocata.

my address (its the address of my employer):

Atelier Papenfuss
Arno Grabolle
Marktstraße 12
99423 Weimar
Germany

Arno

(I'm not a great English speaker. Sorry but I hope it is understandable somewhat)

Albert Gatt Floridia

• Fauna of Malta
« Antwort #4 am: 2012-02-18 20:08:49 »
Hi Arno
Your english is very good and i have understood your message perfectly.
I will keep an eye out for the species which are not illustrated on the Wiki and if I manage to catch them I shall send them over.
Regards
Albert

Arno Grabolle

• mein g+
« Antwort #5 am: 2012-02-18 20:26:06 »
Great, many thanks ...

Arno

Pierre Oger

• Arachno site
« Antwort #6 am: 2012-02-18 22:31:38 »
I think this is X. bufo, frequent in South-Europe (see here)

Arno Grabolle

• mein g+
« Antwort #7 am: 2012-02-18 22:58:59 »
Yea, seem so ...

Arno

Tobias

• Gast
« Antwort #8 am: 2012-02-18 23:02:44 »
Yes, spiders from Malta would be great for our wiki and I think for the checklist too. We should also inform the ESM (Entomo. Soc. of Malta) about the species we identify.

I will send my adress via PM later.

Tobias