Autor Thema: Nigma walckenaeri male? => Nigma walckenaeri var. vulnerata  (Gelesen 304 mal)

Raffaele Falato

Gorgoglione, Province of Matera, Basilicata, Southern Italy.

Discovery date: November 12, 11 a.m..
Habitat: 700 m - in an oak forest, in its safety net on a fence post, nearby there is an abandoned bungalow.
Dimensions: just over 3 mm.

Hi,
this spider, despite the red heart mark on the opisthosoma, reminds me of a male of Nigma walckenaeri.
Is my guess correct?
Thanks.
Raf

nw1.jpg
*nw1.jpg (25.57 KB . 703x523 - angeschaut 125 Mal)
nw2.jpg
*nw2.jpg (13.42 KB . 308x392 - angeschaut 134 Mal)
« Letzte Änderung: 2020-11-14 08:52:16 von Raffaele Falato »

Simeon Indzhov

• neue E-Mailaddresse
Re: Nigma walckenaeri male?
« Antwort #1 am: 2020-11-12 20:11:21 »
It is *most likely*. I have had Nigma walckenaeri like this (with the red CM), rest of colour scheme fits and so does time of year. I would like other opinions though.
Simeon

Raffaele Falato

« Antwort #2 am: 2020-11-12 22:18:23 »
Hi Simeon, thanks for your post.  ;)
After that, I did a little research and read somewhere that Simon speaks, for spiders like mine, of N. w. vulnerata, locating it in the Pyrenees region.
If so, it is clear that this variant, if it can be called that (I am a layman), is also present in other parts of Europe.
But perhaps the topic is already known to many of you.
Raf

Another observation, Simon describes the female, but his pattern is also common to the male.
Obviously if my male will be determined as such.

Raffaele Falato

« Antwort #3 am: 2020-11-13 17:13:58 »
Oh oh, now I discover that vulnerata is a species, whose male is not known.

Rainer Breitling

• Aktive Mitarbeiter
« Antwort #4 am: 2020-11-13 20:55:44 »
Hi Rafaele,
I think you were right in your first assessment: your specimen is very likely to be what Simon called vulnerata. Schmidt’s decision to raise this variant to species status doesn’t seem accompanied by any evidence. When we treat this “phantom species” in the future, I hope we will be able to use your figure 8)
Best wishes,
Rainer

Simeon Indzhov

• neue E-Mailaddresse
« Antwort #5 am: 2020-11-13 21:05:30 »
Thanks both for the research effort! I think I have a photo of my specimen too back from 2017 (which I guess would be a complement to knowing the form is present in many areas). That specimen is preserved (with colouration decayed) and I have normally coloured ones from the same populations.

Raffaele Falato

« Antwort #6 am: 2020-11-13 22:31:55 »
Thanks to both of you.
I realize I have met a "particular" spider.
But this very interesting discussion has not reached its epilogue for me, now I have the problem of how to archive the spider:  >:(
1. N. walckeaneri var. vulnerata, which I believe is the most appropriate choice in Rainer's words (if well translated);
2. N. walckeaneri;
3. N. vulnerata.

@ Rainer you can use the photo when you need it ... but only if you explain to me why you consider vulnerata a phantom specie.  ;D  ;)

Greetings.
Raf

Rainer Breitling

• Aktive Mitarbeiter
« Antwort #7 am: 2020-11-14 07:38:28 »
Hi Rafaele,
Nigma vulnerata is a suspected phantom species, because it is included in the check lists and databases as a valid species, but probably is just a variant of a widespread species, which would explain why (almost) nobody has ever seen it again, since Simon described it more than 100 years ago. There are surprisingly many cases like this, even in a well-studied area like Europe. In our two papers on “phantom species”, we already identified about 100 of them (and put them to rest). There are perhaps another 300 or more still waiting to be studied (it takes time and effort) – that would mean that almost 10% of European spider diversity consisted of phantoms when we started the analysis.
Best wishes,
Rainer

Raffaele Falato

« Antwort #8 am: 2020-11-14 08:49:28 »
Thank you Rainer.
Greetings.
Raf

Raffaele Falato

Re: Nigma walckenaeri male? => Nigma walckenaeri var. vulnerata
« Antwort #9 am: Gestern um 18:36:41 »
@ Rainer. I think I have something that interests you and your future thread on ghost specie .

This morning I returned to the usual wood and, about 200m from the place of the male above, I found this female on a wild rose leaf ...

nwv1.jpg
*nwv1.jpg (14.35 KB . 356x343 - angeschaut 53 Mal)
nwv2.jpg
*nwv2.jpg (13.42 KB . 439x305 - angeschaut 53 Mal)

... and on a leaf just above this other female.

nw.jpg
*nw.jpg (36.79 KB . 482x597 - angeschaut 54 Mal)

In this small clearing, the classic form and the variant vulnerata live in the same buildings.  ;)

Greetings.
Raf

Rainer Breitling

• Aktive Mitarbeiter
Re: Nigma walckenaeri male? => Nigma walckenaeri var. vulnerata
« Antwort #10 am: Heute um 09:41:47 »
Fantastic. This should definitely settle the case: these must be the same species.
Best wishes,
Rainer